Monday, December 29, 2008

Spoken Word

What do you do when you're dead but still alive?
When you want to show strewn handprints down your chest
and through your thighs
So you lift your shirt
But there's nothing there to prove what he did or how it hurt

It's like invisible ink
Shine the light but be careful not to blink
Or you'll miss it
But I'll never miss it
Everything is reminiscent

It's like a picture with a flash
It blinds my eyes but the memory is still intact

But he says the memory isn't real

He says...
It wasn't me and I didn't do it
If she doesn't remember she'll never prove it
She'll just lose it

Her faith
Her dignity
Her self esteem
Her fire

The things that lit her up, made her laugh, and made her smile

Is this some sort of test?
Of my strength? Of my courage?
Cuz I'll never be brought down
And I'll never be discouraged

Let me take a moment to tell you how it is
You'll never break my spirit
My determination lives

And I'll take this as an opportunity
From whatever is up above
To prove to myself that I can still love

And I'll wear your hand prints as tattoos 
Not because I have something to prove
But because I have something to give...

Alive or dead?

I'll choose to live.

No comments: